Timeout

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Get an timeout error every time I try to connect:

************** Exception Text **************
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
   at AlterGear.SQLLibrary.SQLList.GetIndices(Int32 fragPct)
   at AlterGear.SqlIndexerUI.FrmMain.FetchIndices() in C:\Users\Shashi\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\AlterGear.SQLLibrary\AlterGear.SqlIndexerUI\FrmMain.cs:line 44
   at AlterGear.SqlIndexerUI.FrmMain.btnSelectDB_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Shashi\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\AlterGear.SQLLibrary\AlterGear.SqlIndexerUI\FrmMain.cs:line 37
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 1:29 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I wouldnt be too sure with why the error appaers.

You could try having a look at your firewall (although i think you were successful at selecting a server and a database)

I have also added a setup for a release based configuration which you can try (you will need to uninstall the application before installing this)

The databse that you are connecting to, how many indexes do you think that would have ? (there could be a performance issue with a very large amount of indexes to be fetched).

Could you try setting the Filter value to a very high value prior to selecting the database?

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

just need to override the connection timeout parameter.  I'll grab the code at some point and make the change

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I Shall add that to the next release

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Hi jimpar,

I have added the connection timeout property to the application.

Hope this helps with your issue.